Our mission is to protect and promote the legal rights and interests of the community, to assist and empower individuals and groups who are disadvantaged in their access to justice, and to contribute to the reform of laws and structural inequities to achieve fair and just outcomes.
St Kilda Legal Service is committed to the following values and principles which underpin our approach to the way we operate in all areas of our work.
- Responsive to the needs and interests of clients and community.
- Access to justice and provision of accessible legal services.
- Social justice and human rights focus.
- Moving beyond individual solutions to effect change.
- Acting from a community development approach which encourages community participation and engagement with stakeholders and the broader community.
- The empowerment of clients and the broader community.
- Enabling informed decision making by clients and the community.
- Respect, compassion and a non-judgemental approach in all dealings with clients and the community.
- Ethical, competent and professional service delivery.
- Accountability and transparency in all its operations, and dealings with clients and the broader community.
- Safe, supportive, confidential and ethical work environment for staff and volunteers.
- Continuing learning, improvement and professional development.
St Kilda Legal Service respectfully acknowledges the Yalukit Willam clan of the Boon Wurrung. We pay our respect to their elders, both past and present. We acknowledge and uphold their continuing relationship to this land.
We also acknowledge the support of both State and Federal Governments, Legal Services Board and private donations in helping to fund our service.
To find out more about Our History, please click here.