LGBTIQ Legal Service

Please visit the LGBTIQ Legal Service for further information on the service.

LGBTIQ communities can have particular legal issues relating to their identities, including:

  • Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, blood-borne virus status or lawful sexual activity
  • Change of name and change of gender marker issues
  • Police, judiciary or Corrections complaints
  • Health complaints
  • Privacy complaints
  • Family violence (e.g. misidentification of affected family member or respondent based on LGBTIQ status, IVO applications affecting trans and gender diverse young people)
  • Neighbourhood disputes

If you live in Victoria and have a legal issue related to your LGBTIQ identity, then please get in touch and we will call you to provide you with legal advice.

We are currently only funded to help Thorne Harbour Health clients and trans and gender diverse people living in Victoria with their everyday legal problems such as:

  • Fines and debt
  • Centrelink issues (such as Disability Support Pension and debt appeals)
  • Family violence intervention orders and personal safety intervention orders
  • Discrimination
  • Name, gender marker and ID changes
  • Criminal law
  • Health complaints
  • Evictions and tenancy disputes
  • Employment issues (e.g. unfair dismissal)

If you are a current Thorne Harbour Health client, ask your worker for a referral. If you are a trans and gender diverse person living in Victoria, please get in touch, or ask Transgender Victoria for a referral.


The LGBTIQ Legal Service can also provide referrals to private law firms, health services and housing organisations that have expressed a desire to offer safe and inclusive services to the LGBTIQ community. If you need a referral, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Casework guidelines

Ongoing legal representation (casework) is decided on a case-by-case basis. As a small non-profit organisation, we are unable to take on all matters. For more information, see our casework guidelines.

Translators and interpreters

We are able to provide phone translation services for languages other than English. Please call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call us. Alternatively, please send an email to with the language you speak and the number you would like us to call you on, and we will call you with an interpreter during business hours.