SKLS operates a duty lawyer service for people engaging in the Family Violence Intervention Order process each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the Moorabbin Justice Centre.
Our family violence lawyer also provides family violence outreaches within our catchment, engages in law reform and community legal education.
Call 8598 6635 to make an appointment to speak to a lawyer about your situation.
If you are seeking referrals to a private family lawyer you should call the Law Institute of Victoria. For information on other Community Legal Centres, contact the Federation of Community Legal Centres.
Helpful tips for speaking to a lawyer about your matter
- Write important details for your appointment (for example: any questions you have, name, birth date and address of your former partner and children);
- Write down important events and include details such as witnesses, places and dates.
- If you have documents, have them handy so that you can refer to them (for example: your intervention order application, Victoria Police Charge Sheet, e-mail or text messages between you and your partner, any Family Law orders or parenting plan).
- Bring a support person with you if you feel like it could assist you, these appointments can be highly emotional.
- If you don’t understand what’s been said to you, ask the lawyer to explain statements or questions further. It’s important that you feel like you are aware of what’s happening and the legal process.
“I can’t thank you enough… I feel confident that I can do this with you having my back.” (Client of the family violence lawyer 2014)
The Family Violence Intervention Order Resources
- St Kilda Legal Service – Youth in Action: Family Violence Film.
- Ask Someone – Free professional support and information.
- Women’s Legal Service.
- Eastern Community Legal Centre – Steps2Safety.
- Emerge – Domestic Violence Safety Plan.
- Safe Steps – Resources.
- Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria.
- WIRE Women’s Information and Referral Exchange.
- 1800 Respect – National Family Violence Counselling Service.